Sunday, February 1, 2009

Odds and ends

Hi all! Sorry for the gaps between postings - talk to my ISP! I honestly could not get a single image to load for the past two nights... very frustrating (especially when you consider the exorbitant rates charged for the service!). So I'm trying much earlier tonight and so far so good...

So I'm getting a bit of flak for so many cute kitty shots in my last "real" post. I promise if there were ANY cute dogs I'd be posting them as well, but they just don't seem to be popular pets here. I'll stay on the lookout! Give me some credit though - I did find Getta. :)

I've been to a couple more high-level meetings in the past days. Maybe it's just naivete, but I'm still floored to see so many people from so many countries coming together with a single goal of assisting Afghanistan. Of course everyone has different takes on the best way to get it done, but it's still a humbling experience. I was at an all-U.S. meeting as well and was simply amazed at the quality of the people there. I don't know how the various agencies find them all (and I know that's not easy - there are a number of vacant positions) but someone is really doing a great job at recruiting.

One of the constants around here is a high turnover rate. We had a hail/farewell scheduled for the office, but the "farewellee" left early (flight schedule change) so we decided to hail the three (!) newbies anyway. Our office is split into three sections that work in three different locations, so the result is that these gatherings are the only time I see some of the people that supposedly work with me. :) This was taken at the pizza place on base - frankly, I don't see how they stay in business, considering the DFAC does a good job with pizza, but I guess it's nice to have the option to order whatever you want sometimes.



OK, now for some (hopefully!) funny stuff. Some days you just walk around the base and wonder "WHY???" Here are a few of those moments for you...

Why is it that the Green Bean (our Starbucks-like coffee shop) runs out of milk, yet the PX is fully stocked on expensive toys? PS2, XBOX, and the whole Rock Band/Guitar Hero series is available for purchase (and they don't stay on the shelves long!). There was almost a stampede last time they got the Wii in stock.



I realize the next picture's a bit small, but I wanted to give you some context. There is a fire pit area that some people like to use as a hang-out area. Given the random schedules of people here on base, you can usually find someone hanging out there most of the time. The base just put new signs up (white sign with red lettering in the center of the picture) that says no wood-burning before 1900. Why??? What's so magical about 1900? I could understand if it was "no fires before dark" or something like that, but... :)

Finally, I was walking back to my room today and stumbled on this (OK, not literally!). I must walk past this location at least five times a day, yet I've never noticed this rose. It's FEBRUARY, it's COLD (OK, not really today, but we've had snow and ice!) and yet this rose is still in bloom. Things that make you go hmm... And you'll notice there's not a green thing to be seen around it!


Hope you enjoyed the random thoughts. Keep those questions and comments coming! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment