Saturday, February 7, 2009

Camp Eggers Idol!

Barbara and I went to Camp Eggers Idol last night - it was such a great diversion from the usual routine! There are some truly talented people on this base. Think about it - each of the competitors had enough guts to get up on stage and sing in front of people they live AND work with.

The judges ("Simon", "Paula" and "Randy" of course!) were all volunteers. It was "Simon's" birthday, hence the streamers in some of the pictures (he's actually one of the Chaplains here). "Paula" is a civilian who I've had the pleasure of working with on a project, and "Randy" is a former competitor (more about him in a minute). They were funny and kept the audience involved - "Simon" even managed to draw a few groans and boos from the audience.

Here's a shot of all of the competitors. I have to apologize for how dark these pictures turned out - the competition was held in near darkness and the only "stage lights" were actually behind the competitors (the better to see the karaoke words by). At least I can show how effective our reflective gear is!

OK, "Randy's" story as promised. His name is actually Carlos, and he's in the Army. This is actually the fifth "season" of Idol here, and Carlos won the third season. Someone on the staff that puts these events on had videotaped the competition, and put Carlos' routine on YouTube. Someone from the Army's Soldier Show saw the video, contacted Carlos, arranged for an audition, and he was accepted! He'll be on tour with the group next year. OK, so it's not a recording contract, but it's an awesome opportunity. He performed between the two rounds of competition, and he's definitely an entertainer!

My personal favorite showman of the night. Not the best voice of the group, but definitely a terrific stage presence! (Doesn't hurt that he's Navy either! )


The winner of season 5, by popular vote:

All in all, a really fun evening, and you definitely can't beat the price. I hope they do this again before I leave!

1 comment:

  1. My beloved Husband,

    My darling am very grateful to receiving your mail every day,honey you are my hope and my future.

    Honey, I am sorry for my late reply, I did not have access with internet on time. My love I am getting better now. Honey, i am receiving treatment at a military hospital here because i sustained an injury on my left arm during the battle.

    Honey, I have decided finally to leave the Army and take care of my family. I got a mail from the Red Cross woman that she has deposited the luggage into a security company today, she deposited it in your name, and it is good news.

    Honey, all you have to do now is to contact the security company she deposited the luggage and let them know that you have a trunk box been deposited here in there security company as a luggage in your name, you will ask them to confirm to you and instruct them to move it to your address with immediate effect. Once you receive it, I will take a resignation letter and resign immediately. You can contact the company today.

    Honey, always remember that i love you so much and nothing can seperate us forever

    this mail story all true?

    ReplyDelete