Saturday, May 9, 2009

Yet another farewell

Yep, another farewell. It was Martin's time to go today. He returns to Canada where I'm sure he'll do great things. He worked on the Afghan National Army (ANA) side of the SJA shop, so I didn't get to work with him directly on many things, but he certainly made my life much easier when it came to sharing our vehicle with them! The Colonel on the left runs the ANA shop (much like my boss runs the Afghan National Police (ANP) shop). And yes, that's an Arkansas hat - she's very proud of her state!


But with all the farewells have to come a few hails - and my boss is very happy that her relief is here! Welcome Scott! He's been here about 48 hours now, but he's handling the jet lag and time changes much better than I did!


Springtime in Afghanistan definitely means roses. The bushes are everywhere - I think it's just a matter of days before there is an explosion of roses. But, I managed to find this one hardy little flower a few days ahead of its peers:

We observed a multi-national prison assessment this week. They were focused on the actual prisons run by the Ministry of Justice, but while in Kabul they stopped by the detention center that the Ministry of Interior runs. We've been there many times, but it was an eye-opening experience for most members of the team. During the visit, this teenage kitty decided it wanted to get up close and personal - he/she actually came right up to us, but by the time I got the camera out it was time to go...


As part of that same assessment, we were privileged to conclude our meeting at the British Embassy. As you'll see below, the Brits don't have the same prohibition on alcohol that we do. Talk about rubbing our noses in it! :)

All in all, it's been a good week. My relief is now in the training pipeline. Dave, take care of yourself and don't get hurt! I'll see you in just a little while...

No comments:

Post a Comment