Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I can honestly say I've never worn so much green for this holiday before. :) But, I have another reason to celebrate - whatever my end date turns out to be (there's a possible range), I have passed the halfway mark. Yay!!!!!

The base tried to do a party for us, but we were rained out. :( They did manage some shepherd's pie for dinner, so definite bonus points for that.

The Afghan new year is coming up, so traffic and travel are both getting a little difficult. I did manage to take a couple of pictures on a trip to take our trainers to a new training site. If I understood the translation correctly, this is actually a British monument - located in the center of yet another traffic circle. There are very few stoplights in Kabul - lots of traffic police and lots of traffic circles appear to be the best effort to control the traffic. Some days it works, others it doesn't. :) Oh, and did I mention I was driving in all this mess??? :)


Work has been very steady (meaning lots of it!) this week, so not a lot of opportunities to get out and take pictures. Barbara and I went in together on a large bead order from Fire Mountain and were very, very happy when the heavy box arrived. A couple of fun pics:


You can't even see all the stuff that was actually IN my lap - it took us several hours to sort through all the stuff (Lea-Ann, you would have loved it!). Needless to say, I have enough to keep me busy for a while. Now if I can just find the time to work on my jewelry and get more posted on my Etsy site!

I also need to work on my stone identification. Once I get past jasper and rose quartz, I'm a little lost in these piles, but I know what I like!

Spring definitely has arrived - we even had showers today to prove it. :) Barbara and I were able to sit outside on Friday and work on sorting and making new creations... I even managed a tiny bit of sunburn for the effort. I'm not complaining! Spring here is really pretty, and the smell of the rain is really strong (in a good way!). I wouldn't mind if this weather lasts quite a bit longer!

Afraid that's all the news that's fit to post - until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Looking at your picture, I'd say you've got new "jade," amethyst, sodalite, aragonite, rock crystal quartz, a few mixed strands and...oooooo! sea "opal"! My friend Jamie has a love-love relationship with Sea "Opal" -- she wears it with everything! It's a great "stone" for spring and summer....

    Can't wait til you post pictures of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to get a package of beads to play with! I hope you'll have fun with them and share what you make here. :)

    --Dave
    at Rings & Things

    ReplyDelete