Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Survival Dari

Well, I've made it through four class sessions and am about to head to my fifth. We've already dropped about a quarter of the class - it's pretty intense. I can now count, tell time, figure out what day of the week it is (assuming I can do that in English - some days are harder than others!), and ask random questions like how old someone is, if they're married, if they have kids, where they're from, etc. Basically enough to get me into trouble. :)

I'll leave you with a pretty picture tonight. The base is pretty "industrial" and not really designed to provide a lot of scenery, so I try to take shots whenever and wherever I find them. I took this one walking to work a couple of days ago. You've seen the flag display in other pictures. This is the same display from a different perspective - I just happened to notice how absolutely clear and blue the sky was that morning. Again, the picture doesn't quite do it justice, but you get the idea. Unfortunately, it's also a grim reminder of the realities of being here. Any time a nation loses a soldier in action, their flag is lowered to half-staff. We prefer the days all the flags are flying at full mast.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tracy,
    I have been on a couple of times reading about your adventures, I just wanted to drop a line and say "Hi" and we miss you!!! Do you pretty much stay within a few mile radius of your office? Is it pretty safe where you are at?
    Today is Niki's birthday (8)so we are doing the cake and ice cream thing tonight with Dan's family then on Sat. we are having it again @ mom's with Clint, Rhett Grandparents and kids.
    The weather has been crappy here the last couple days (snow & ice)and work has been really slow, people aren't pouring too much concrete in this weather.
    Well, I better go I just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you. Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete