Friday, January 2, 2009

Catching up

A few random entries today to catch up on events from December and start the new year with a clean slate.

Earlier in December we had a change of command at CSTC-A (Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan) where MGEN Cone was relieved by MGEN Formica. I didn't get to go to the actual ceremony (held off base) but we did have an awards formation for MGEN Cone. And yes, I am in this picture if you look really hard! Here is the story about the change of command.


Earlier I wrote about how gorgeous the mountains visible from the base can be. We finally had one of those clear days and I was able to take this picture. Trust me, it's even more impressive in person.


We had a little excitement a few days ago - a light dusting of snow and an earthquake all on the same day. The earthquake was about 200 miles away, so we only felt a little bit of shaking, and none of the snow stuck, but it at least gave us something to talk about and take pictures of... The snow was a little strange - big fluffy flakes that actually bounced as they hit you. Look hard and you can see a few flakes in this picture, but there really wasn't much to get in the picture!


The next two pictures were taken during a detention center visit. The first was in the "kitchen" - really just an open space with fire pits (but it did smell really good!). The workers in the kitchen were asking to have their picture taken - how could I say no? :)


This next picture is "retaliation" to some of my friends in Iraq, who send really cute pictures and descriptions of dogs that they see and/or work with. Well, I haven't seen any cute dogs around here, but this obviously well-fed tabby was patrolling at the detention center, so I couldn't resist snapping a couple of pictures. I think he knew he was about to become famous!


Finally, a picture of Jamal, one of our interpreters. I am trying to pick up some Dari while I am here (actually signed up for a class that starts tomorrow). He teaches me Dari and I try to teach him a little bit of Spanish and Japanese - it's pretty funny. He is only 24, but he speaks six languages and is about to graduate from law school - a very impressive guy who really makes it possible for us to do what we do here. You can also see a few of the office Christmas decorations, thanks to one of Pete's care packages. :)

Hopefully you enjoyed the quick photo tour. I'll be in class Saturday-Wednesday nights so I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to update for the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! You can run but you can't hide! I found you in the group picture. :)

    ReplyDelete