Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Accommodations

Just a quick post tonight. I promised a look at our room. I live in a converted CONEX shipping container (no windows!). It does have heat and A/C. I'm told it's 10 feet by 20 feet but it doesn't feel that big! I arrived on a Sunday and had a room on Wednesday, which I'm told is pretty much miraculous by Camp Egger standards. :) They divide up the housing list by rank, and it just so happened that one female O-5 left on Wednesday morning and I was the only field grade officer on the female waiting list. I feel a little bit guilty about that, as two male O-4s arrived with me and they have no hope of a room anytime soon - others have been on the list 5-6 weeks already.

There are two people assigned to each room - my roommate happens to be an O-5 Army type who works ridiculous hours, so I haven't gotten to know her very well yet. She's also on her mid-tour leave right now, so I have the room to myself for a little while. The beds are definitely more comfortable than the cots at Fort Jackson and I don't have to walk outside for the shower or the head, so all in all it could be a lot worse. The first picture is of the room itself (my half of it anyway!), and the second is of my hallway so you can get a feel for the layout. The floor "gives" in some locations but other than that I have no complaints. :)






























I've been here just over a week now and I can finally navigate the base without getting lost. Of course, now that I've written that I'll screw something up, but eventually I'll find my way. The people I work with are easy to get along with and the job is interesting - more about that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment